Tuesday 30 July 2013

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion - Review


Warm Bodies (Warm Bodies, #1)
Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

Publisher:
 Vintage
First Published: 1st January 2010
Genre: Young Adult / Horror / Romance
Series: Warm Bodies #1
Page Count: 240

Synopsis: 'R' is a zombie. He has no name, no memories and no pulse, but he has dreams. He is a little different from his fellow Dead.

Amongst the ruins of an abandoned city, R meets a girl. Her name is Julie and she is the opposite of everything he knows - warm and bright and very much alive, she is a blast of colour in a dreary grey landscape. For reasons he can't understand, R chooses to save Julie instead of eating her, and a tense yet strangely tender relationship begins.

This has never happened before. It breaks the rules and defies logic, but R is no longer content with life in the grave. He wants to breathe again, he wants to live, and Julie wants to help him. But their grim, rotting world won't be changed without a fight..

Review:
5 / 5 stars

Well... where do I start with this beauty? I feel like I remember every part of this book so clearly, I mean obviously I don't because I have the worst memory ever but I truly loved every moment I spent reading Warm Bodies.

Which wasn't very long because I read it all in a day.

Warm Bodies follows R who is dead, a zombie, as he goes about his day to day life. Its basically an internal monologue or diary and its very comical, in a twisted kind of way. I mean he is a zombie after all. Oh and Marion's writing is so very beautiful, its almost poetical how he goes about some of the descriptions.

One of the aspects that I thought was most interesting was even though they were no longer human, many of them clearly hung onto human aspects of their previous lives, for example we're shown a zombie wedding, the building of a family, hunting to eat and re-enacting sex, like the main instincts are still there and to me, it all boils down to the different types of hunger we more often than not have as a human - hunger to have someone who we love to spend our lives with, hunger to start and create our own family and hunger for food. I mean sure there is more to life than this but its almost like the zombies have zoned in on these things specifically.

I'm babbling a little here aren't I?

Anyway what I am trying to say is that it was really interesting seeing these everyday aspects of our lives to be recreated by zombies, for zombies and from a zombie's point of view.

Once Julie enters the scene things continued to hold my interest at a pace that held my attention more than any book I've read in a long time, we get to see R's world start to change for the better and the development of the relationship between the two is far from boring. What is also enjoyable is noticing the change and development in R himself as he slowly starts to form and hold onto more and more human notions, whilst being tasked with fighting a war not only with humans that aren't open to the idea that zombies can come back from death, but also with the elder zombies who do not welcome change.

I could probably go on more and more about this book whilst continuing to praise every aspect from it but I think what I've written has done the job and you'll see I haven't a negative bone to pick with this at all. I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't thank my Dad enough for buying it me for Christmas.

GR
Amazon: UK*
Isaac Marion: Website | Goodreads | Twitter | Facebook
When purchasing through this link, I will earn a small amount, once I have enough saved up I'll put it towards a giveaway.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read the book but I loved the movie! It was so funny especially the parts where he was playing records and they were doing the zombie talk. Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its REALLY good, like I doubt my review does it any justice, I read it all in a day and I LOVED IT

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting, we'll stop by and return the favour soon so feel free to share links.

Captcha is turned off for your convenience, if its magically turned on let us know.