Saturday 7 June 2014

Review: Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Published: 1st May 2012 by Katherine Tegen Books
Genre: Young Adult / Dystopia

Series: Divergent #2
Page Count: 529
Format: Paperback
Source: RAK from Ciska

Synopsis: One choice can transform you—or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves—and herself—while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable—and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.
Purchase: Amazon UK* / Amazon US / TBD* / B&N / Kobo

Veronica Roth: Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Tumblr
*When purchasing through this link, I will receive a small amount, once I have enough saved up I will put it towards a giveaway.

Review: 
4 / 5 stars

I'm really happy that Ciska chose to send me this book for a RAK month shortly after it came out, and it didn't take me long to start reading it, however those that had read it warned me there was a cliffhanger so I left it until Allegiant came out.

I still don't even have a copy of Allegiant because the paperbacks aren't out yet, and of course it will need to match but I decided to go ahead and read Insurgent anyway.

For me though this book was really split in two.

The first half I enjoyed, found the pace to be fairly good and the story kept me guessing what would happen, but soon after reaching just half way the tumblr book blogs decided to break their no spoiler posting rule or didn't tag their spoilers for a funny text post floating round.

Comparing the actors of TFIOS and Insurgent and their roles and ahem certain events.

Hah. Brilliant. Thank you.

So for the last half I struggled to get through this book as I knew what happened in the third and was basically pulling a very pissed off face at the book when I was reading it.

I'm really gutted about this because I think I would have enjoyed it more if this hadn't happened or if I hadn't let the spoiler ruin my enjoyment of the book.

I did however really enjoy getting to see inside the opposing faction and the factionless, and seeing how these people tackled things.

The downside of this I do think things may have run a lot smoother if Tris would've just actually talked to Four and other people too, and realising asking for help is not a weakness.

But I guess that isn't part of Tris' character or her strong points.

I must say thought that for most of this book I felt it was a good and solid three stars, however the ending really made it for me and bumped it up to four stars because to have it explained exactly why the factions exist and why divergence is hunted for really made the story feel a lot strong and more realistic.

I look forward to the finale of the trilogy but I don't think I'll be rushing to it any time soon, thanks tumblr.

2 comments:

  1. As you know. I had the dame problem as you. I cannot believe some people!

    I felt the saem as you with this. I still enjoyed it but I had that underlying gut feeling that I already know what happens. I have a copy of Allegiant and I tried to read it but I am gonna have to wait a while. I am not feeling it at the moment :)


    Thanks for sharing my dear & great review! :) xxx


    Alex @ The Shelf Diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's really upset me because I really want to finish it but I'm just so stuck right now. I'm not even going out of my way to try and purchase a copy. It's just not worth it yet. Hopefully I'll be more willing to start it before the year is up.

      Thank you xx

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting, we'll stop by and return the favour soon so feel free to share links.

Captcha is turned off for your convenience, if its magically turned on let us know.